Sunday, September 27, 2009

Forgiving and Forgetting

This is the hardest of all lessons to learn for me in my life because I am blessed/cursed with a long memory of things past. It's great to be able to remember each and every Christmas of your life since age 2, but not so great to remember every single fight your parents had or that you ever had with your siblings or spouse! Belive me, there are things I wish that I could forget. Two of my siblings have actually asked me to relate to them the events of their own early lives (say before age 12), because they say they have no real specific memories of which teachers they had, or what places they visited, or what they got for Christmas in any given year. (I'm sure being at the bottom of the birth order in our large family made memories get confused.)

As I said in class today, the one thing I have learned this year in our Crosswalk class discussions is that God will ease the pain of those memories in our minds if we ask Him to. It does not change the facts of what happened long ago, but it does change our reactions to those long-ago hurts. He truly does "bear our burdens for us", thank God. -- Marthann

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Let me know.