Thursday, December 3, 2009

Looking Ahead

posted by David Ashcraft on December 3

In
Philippians 3:12-14 Paul says, "I don't mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection! But I keep working toward that day when I will finally be all that Christ Jesus saved me for and wants me to be. No, dear friends, I am still not all I should be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus is calling us up to heaven."

I like his last statement - forgetting the past and looking forward. Easy to write but hard to do. Easy to say, "I forgive" but hard to mean it. Easy to say I will forget that stupid decision I made but hard to do. I think that Satan wants to keep us bogged down in the past, wallowing in our self pity or anger or resentment. Paul's encouragement is look forward. I like the verse we had last Sunday in Bible study, "Draw near to God; resist the devil and he will flee from you."

The first imperative in that verse is Draw near to God. When I am close to God, it is much easier to focus on the future because my hope in Him is secure. I know who will ultimately win the battle with Satan. When I am close to God, I am more likely to listen to the counsel of the Holy Spirit - much more likely to ask the Holy Spirit for guidance.

Last Sunday's lesson ended with the "list of 10." Ten things we can do to draw near to God; 10 things we can do that will improve our Christian testimony. I believe the "List of 10" is right on target. My challenge to each of us - let's follow the advice of the list for a month and see what happens. Make notes as you go through the week of events in your life that result from following the "List of 10." Let's share them in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Let me know.