Saturday, January 30, 2010

Relfections of Glory

I read James McDonald's sermon after 9/11 and see a lot of the points we've been discussing both in Crosswalk through our study of Daniel and in George's Sunday sermons.

He talks about us being created for God's glory, which made sense to me for the first time. How could we, imperfect humans ever be created "for God's glory"? I understand now that it's because when we are saved, and the Holy Spirit enters our hearts, we become capable of reflecting God's Glory through His son, Jesus Christ in us.

I thought back to one of sthe tragic times in my life when I was with a loved one who died, at the moment they died.

My elderly Aunt Lena had just moved from her assisted living apt. to the nursing center in her complex as her cancer was in its final stages. I had spent the morning fighting with her doctor over the telephone to put her on a morphine drip because she could no longer get any relief from the liquid morphine the nurse was giving her. As she drifted off into a fitfull sleep, I decided to go to my car to get my lunch, but changed my mind at the elevator when I saw medics bringing a new patient into the nursing unit. Something told me that they were going to move her into the room with my aunt, and I did not want her to wake up and be frightened, so I went back to the room to sit with her.

I climbed into bed next to her and she rested her head in the crook of my arm. She looked kind of peaceful. In a few minutes, she stopped breathing and was gone. I realized that God had nudged me to go back to her room and that He intended for me to be with my aunt when she passed away. I was so glad that He had allowed me to comfort my aunt in her last moments on earth.

I think that's what is meant by "reflecting God's glory" through His son Jesus Christ, who lives within our hearts from the moment we are saved. I thank God for His goodness and grace.

--Marthann

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Let me know.