Sunday, August 5, 2018

Letters To my Children. A Story about a String and My Little Finger

Let me tell you a real story about a string and your little finger. 

Imagine that a string is stretched the length of Carter Finley stadium in Raleigh NC.  And then imagine that the string continues to New York City and then across the Atlantic to Europe and then to Asia and to then San Francisco and finally back back to Raleigh. Continuing to imagine, suppose the string stretched around the world an additional infinite number of times. 

Now, compare the length of the string with the width of your little finger. Your little finger represents our expected 82 years of life on this earth and the string represents the length of eternity.

God created us with a focus on the string. Even Maslow  (Pyramid of Needs) admitted in his last final book, that ultimate satisfaction comes from out side ourselves.

The question: are you living your life focused on the string, or are you nearsighted and can only see the width of your Little finger?

Instead of living a life focused on eternity, most of us spend our time worrying about our little finger while ignoring the the string. We worry about our work, children, politics, health, money and a myriad of other things that are really inconsequential ......compared to the string. Compared to eternity.

Listen to Solomon in Ecclesiastes 3:11. Each of us was created with a longing for eternity – a longing for something outside ourselves – something that transcends this life. That something is God. A personal relation with God as Father.

I have been in every state in the U.S. except Montana, Wyoming and North Dakota. I have visited 14 foreign countries and 95 churches throughout the world. I have witnessed this yearning for something outside of ourselves everywhere I go . . . from the poorest Gypsy in Romania to a billionaire in Texas.

When we focus on eternity we should seek the glory of God. No exceptions. A relationship with God who is above everything he created but who sent His son to dwell among us and to take our sins upon himself so that by believing in Him and committing to follow Him, we can have a daily, eternal relationship with our creator and the sustainer of the entire universe.

God in his infinite wisdom allows us focus on my little finger, which is a focus on me,  my,…self.  or to focus on the string. . .glorifying and worshipping God by accepting Jesus as savior and as LORD – which means that I will be the hands and feet of Jesus in this world and forever.

I have chosen the string, which makes living a joy and provides the hope for a glorious eternity with God.

4 comments:

  1. Do you think this has changed over time? How has retirement, age changed your view? Have you always been focused on the string? I do my very best to focus on thr string too. Then, there are days I spend an entire afternoon arguing with a 7 year old over shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the first 50 years of my life I was focused on Me. Getting ahead at work. Power. Position. Prestige. Arrogant and egotistical. I did not think about eternity. I was “saved” and didn’t worry about anyone else.

    When I revived the non-compete/resignation from Temple-Inland at the age of 50, I had a partial wake-up and began to “work for God” as hard as I had worked at Temple-Inland.

    At the age of 66, I finally realized that the Holy Spirit is to work through me to accomplish God’s plan for my life. So, I have only 6 years experience trying to live a life that is pleasing to God. Wouldn’t trade it for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome!

    When my dad wad diagnosed with cancer he spent his life similar to yours. Work, union, aikido, his band, running, etc. There wasn't time for church and he never even considered the possibility of having a personal relationship with Jesus. He didn't know that was a thing. Once diagnosed he was forced to slow down and was ultimately saved. I loved seeing him soaking in the word and experience Jesus for the first time. His body was dying but his spirit had never been more alive. He only knew Jesus for a few months, but it was beautiful. I bet your kids enjoy watching your relationship with Jesus grow too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Tiff. I guess I did not realize your dad accepted Jesus later in life too. Mary Amelia and I were with our Daddy on his death bed when he finally said "yes" to Jesus. It is exactly like the story of the workers hired for the fields--the reward is the same, no matter when we enter the field to work for the Lord--eternity with Jesus Christ in heaven!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Let me know.