Friday, August 3, 2018

Letters to My Children. Foundational Truths

Dear Mark, Christina, Melissa, Robbie, Keith and Tiffany - 

There are seven foundational truths that shape my world view, which I believe to be a biblical world view. These truths sound like high church, but they are the basis for everything that I believe. Without them, life does not make sense. 


God is tribune, transcendent and imminent. Big words, but important as to how we live. God alone is sovereign; he is creator of all things. God wants my worship and then my service. In that order, Jesus is now in heaven advocating for me with the Father. Jesus wants a personal relationship with me and not a To Do list. The Holy Spirit lives within me to guide, comfort and convict me, primarily through the Bible.

The Bible is true. It is complete. Inspired by God. Without error as inspired. The Bible details God's mission of reconciling a lost world to Himself, from Genesis to Revelation. It is the best management book. It is the best handbook for how to live.

God's timing is not my timing. His plans are higher than my plans and His way is much better than my way. The more mature I become,the more past life makes sense.

Eternal life has already begun. After physical death, life continues. Either in heaven or in hell. Jesus' sacrificial death on the cross, burial and resurrection are sufficient for my salvation. My eternal life with Jesus results from his sacrifice, which I accept as a free gift, confessing my sins and turning to him as my Lord and Savior. Gratitude for my salvation is the motivation for my service. Because my eternal life with God has already begun, my reaction to life's trials and conflicts and good times is based on hope, faith and love.

God is always at work. Missio Dei.  I want to serve God where He is working and where He wants to work through me. Success is allowing the Holy Spirit to work through me to accomplish the plan that God has for my life. Satan will never encourage me to do the right thing.

I have a story. I should continuously update my story and tell it often, God has shaped me and continues to shape me for His work through me. Showing God's grace through my everyday life influences others.

God, through Jesus, established the church. He created me to work with fellow believers through His church to make disciples who make disciples. Disciple-making is my primary task and responsibility on this earth. I am a believer, an American, NC State alumnus, white male, engineer, former executive, husband, father and grandfather, with unique spiritual gifts, heart, abilities, personality and experiences. No one piece of who I am can be separated from the rest of me; I am the same David 24 hours a day, 365 days per year. I must not try to compartmentalize my life. The spiritual and physical aspects of my life are equally important. Thursday is just as important as Sunday.

5 comments:

  1. God's timing is better but man, it is hard sometimes. For my life, I'd add that God's plan is different than my plan. He allows me to struggle, have pain, sorrow and hurt. Sometimes more of that than joy. Over the years I have learned that he never promised joy in the same way we expect it. Instead, he helps us find joy in any situation. During those hard times he has grown and shaped me. He is taught me perseverance and helped me realize I have to lean into him to survive this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Read. I didn't see anything that said wait a minute. Thanks for sharing your insights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you.
    Great insight and look forward to more thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spot on David. I remember you sharing these timeless truths when I attended with a group of men earlier this year. I can pass this on myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, sir! Its foundational truths.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Let me know.